Thursday, November 15, 2007

From The Other Side

I just spent two hours talking to one of my best friends- who lives in Romania. I played a song for her, and she could listen to it from seven time zones away. Last weekend, I spent three glorious days with another best friend. Tomorrow I go home for an entire week, coffee with yet another best friend, and dinners with my family, and my church and my bed. Tonight I'm off to the newsroom to help make a newspaper, which is still the most amazing thing that I've ever done.

My room has me all over. The fridge is full of food that I bought, and set to max, which is where I put it. My curtains and posters are up. My bed is covered in sheets that I chose and that I wash. I chose my dishes and wash them everyday. I hooked up my landline phone, I set up my TV to cable. I chose my pictures and posters and massive Italian flag for my walls. My calendar hangs over my desk with my events and commitments. I have a bookshelf, full of my books. I have classes that I chose, and that I have to attend and do homework for, all by myself. I have a major that I picked out on my own, that is me through and through. Down the hall and nextdoor I have new friends that I have made, all by myself.

And I just realized, just a few minutes ago, that I'm making it. I have found what I'm supposed to do with my life. I have found groups that I fit in with and am happy to be a part of. I am finding good people to get to know, and good things to give my time to. My grades are good, and I'm healthy and strong. My values and beliefs have not been compromised. I have goals and dreams and plans. I am on my own, and I'm doing it. It's all down to me now, and I am really doing good. I like who I am, I like what I am making my life to be. I am going to make it.

No comments: