Friday, November 16, 2007

You Know You're In College When...

I learned something this week - college life is not really condusive to anything else.

I remember when I used to eat three full meals a day. I remember when midnight used to be late on a weekday. I used to hate doing homework after dinner, now I can't even seem to get started before it gets dark out. Using a public restroom/shower used to make me nervous. For the first few weeks, a strange, half-dressed man in my hallway would make me uncomfortable. I used to not procrastinate. It used to take longer than 20 minutes to take care of all of my housekeeping. I also used to have enough space to be a little messy. Swearing used to offend me, now my proffesors curse on a regular basis. 100 pages of reading in two days used to be a lot of work. Guys used to not listen when I talked football. I never spent anytime on the phone with India for customer service, now it's a weekly event. I never read a newspaper, now I read three. I used to never procrastinate, now I can't help it. Late night TV was nonexitant to me, now it is all-pervasive. I don't even blink at the crudest sex reference, or the most vulgar name. I nap during precious sunlight hours, I used to tell time by the clock, and not by sunlight or how hungry I am. I hardly ever touched MTV or Comedy Central. I used to to be blissfully unaware of the latest Fergie song. What luxury.

I can no longer rebel to this lifestyle completely, it's sucking me in. I have given up on sleep, but I still fight for decent food. I don't have a very collegiate wardrobe, I avoid A&F and Hollister and AE as best I can, and I will not buy Ugg boots. I can blast Jamie Cullum and Norah Jones all I want, but it doesn't cover up the gansta rap. No longer can I refuse the nocturnal lifestyle- either I sleep during the day or not at all. And now I'm going home for a week. A land where 11:00 is bedtime and noon is considered middle of the day, not early in the morning. I can't gorge myself on good food like a refugee at a buffet, because I'll have a whole week and I don't need to store up. I'm not a fan of the lifestyle, but I've settled into it now.

Since when is going home a culture shock?

No comments: