Tuesday, January 9, 2007

six months ago today!

Yesterday, I was sitting on the bus coming into school. It was the darkest, coldest part of the night (it's not morning until the sun is up) and it was just about freezing. That means sleet instead of snow. And the wind was blowing like it wanted to slice right through you. And all I had to look foward to was yet another day of school. It was completely miserable.

So I remembered. I thought about the beach in Barcelona. I remembered how it was so hot that sweat was rolling down my back. I remembered how tan I was, and how my eyes were so full of sun that they hurt. I remember my bare toes, getting sunburned and covered in dirt. My sundress floated light over my skin and stuck to the parts of my swim suit that were still wet. The top of my head was dry and hot, but the underneath layers of my hair were still damp from swimming and kept my head cool. The ice cream I was eating was freezing, and made my mouth and throat and stomach cool again. My muscles had that dizzy, lazy feeling that comes from sleeping in the sun; after the bright heat has pounded out all of the tightness. Everything in me that was stored up from the winter, everything that was cold and dull and angry, was gone. It had been rubbed loose by almost two weeks in constant sun, and washed away in the Mediterranian. I was so full of sun and salt and clean air, it felt like my edges blurred in that place, like if you walked past me, you wouldn't see me out of the corner of your eye. I was summer-possesed.

And then the bus lights flipped back on, and I was kicked out of my daydream back into the dark, loud cold. And it was ok.

That trip was like nothing I've ever known. It wasn't just a two week tour, it was a reminder that life is good and worth living, not just getting through. I learned that the world is big enough for me, and that growing up is just as intensely good as it had been intensely bad. Most importantly, I learned that the really good things are things that you don't need a place for, or a language for, or time for, and that those are the ones that last forever. If it weren't for that trip, I don't think I would know right now what to fight for, what to hope for, or what to live for.

I know it's impossible to explain how important that trip was, but I'm a writer so I'll try anyways. I talk about it because if I don't tell the stories, or write about it, then it's less real. And for a long time yet, I need it to stay real to me.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I think you let your senses go wild. I imagine that a lot of people who go to Europe come back and say, "yeah, that was fun. Let's do it again," but they never do. It's like...they spent all that time there, but they didn't let themselves really feel Europe. You, on the other hand, tasted it. You saw it's beauty, smelled it, and soaked it right in. You digested, somehow, the greatness of the old works of art! Now that's the kind of vacation I'd like to experience!

Stacy said...

I have tingles on my spine from reading that. How I miss it so much. My butt is remembering though! There were many many moments on that trip that I felt we were the only ones truly taking it in. I'm happy with the outcome though. I'll be back, no lie. Maybe not to Italy and Spain, but I'll study in France and I forever have friends in the Czech Republic...I'll be back again Europe...Stacy's coming :)

Melanie said...

I'm in love with your blogging ability.
And oh, it is an ability.
I feel all those things too!
But could I ever write it that dang coherently?!
Never.
So yeah.
It's a blogability. I'm glad you embrace it.
The end.
(Oh wait, is that called WRITING?? What is this WRITING you speak of? =]...)

Aunt Mary said...

Wow.

Excellent.

rachel said...

Wow. I'm glad you all liked it! And surprised. Does this give me permission for more long descriptions?

: P