Wednesday, February 14, 2007

snow days: mother nature's way of telling you to relax.

I absolutely love snow. I love the tiny glittery snowflakes that sparkle in the head lights and the soft powdery snow that you can run and jump into. I love how it crunches under my feet when I walk through it. I love how it makes the trees look when it sticks to the branches. I love how clean it makes the air smell. I love sledding and snow angels and snowball fights. I love scarves and gloves, and hot chocolate. I love sitting in my warm, glowing house, wrapped up in a blanket, eating popcorn, and watching the snow fall outside. Most of all, I love snow days.

After breakfast I got all bundled up and played in the snow. I ran around with my dog who kept sinking into drifts, and I tried to snowboard down my driveway on the tiny fake K-mart board my brother has. I tried to build a snowman, but it's not very good packing snow. I did build this fantastic snowfort, with the front wall at least three feet high and rock-solid. I made a little tunnel to store snowballs in. I picked a spot in my yard and shoveled a hole through the snow straight down to the grass, and packed the walls tight. The I grabbed some recycling bins and made massive snowbricks for the front wall. It took half the morning. I was going to make a little bench in the back, but I had snow in my boots, and my nose was about to fall off, and I was really, really hungry.

So I came in and took one of those gloriously hot showers that turn your feet red, you know? And I made a grilled cheese sandwhich for lunch, with a great big glass of milk, and I read some of the Count of Monte Cristo. The library called right after that to tell me they're closing down and I don't have to go in tonight. And mom is about to bake a chocolate cake (from scratch!) I don't have any homework because for whatever reason I'm ahead in my classes, so I have time to read and play DDR and bake and watch American Idol tonight.

Is life good, or what?

No comments: