Thursday, February 15, 2007

play volleyball. fight cancer.

Everyone that goes to my school, check this out:

March 24 (it's a Saturday) we are throwing an outdoor winter volleyball tournament. After break you can sign up for a team. It's 8 people to a team, and I think teachers are going to play, too. Since it's a fundraiser to fight cancer, you pay or raise a certain amount of money per team, and we're going to have great prizes for the winners, and the team that raises the most money, and maybe a raffle.

We're just getting it started, so I don't know too much now. There's going to be T-shirts and livestrong bands, and probably pizza and music in the gym where people can go between games. We might have booths in there about cancer awareness. If there's no snow we might be able to borrow a snow machine from Northampton.

This is going to be big and a lot of fun. And it's to raise money to fight cancer, so it's fun and good.

I can't believe how excited I am about this. It feels so good to be doing something. I know in the scheme of things, our donation is a drop in the bucket. But it adds up. I would say that this is something I want to do for my entire life, but I'm counting on the fact I'll see a cure in my lifetime. So until they find a cure, this is going to be a priority in my life.

I've thought a lot about how it will feel to see that paper headline or that newsbulletin. To know that people don't have to ever be afraid of cancer again, that no one will have to fight it or die from it again. To know that someday it will be completely forgotten, like it never existed. Erased from the face of the earth. I want for my grandkids and great-grandkids to never know what cancer is except for a small statistic in their science books. How much better will I feel if I know that my money, my energy, my time was spent on this cause? To know that if I hadn't helped, it would have taken that much longer to find a cure. Maybe everything I devote to this will add up into one person that gets to live, one person that doesn't ever have to know what I know, what my family knows. It would be worth it a hundred times over.

No comments: