Wednesday, March 14, 2007

and now for some transcendentalism...

I knew it. Somehow, even when it was 10 degrees and snowy, I knew this wasn't far away. The wind was different, it smelled different and it didn't cut up your hands if you forgot gloves. You could see the road pavement. The birds were singing in the mornings, squirrels were coming out. Even though Rochester doesn't tap trees, I knew the sap had started running.

Then it was 60 and sunny, out of nowhere. I didn't need to bundle up just to let the dog out or get the mail. I haven't worn my winter coat in two days. The reason I haven't blogged lately is because I have been in the glorious outdoors, rollerblading, or just sitting outside to read or do homework. Last night I left my winow open, and when I woke up my room smelled like spring rain and I wasn't even cold. This morning, I did not even wear a hoodie.

I need to live north forever. I need my four seasons a year. Sure, in Florida it's 60 all winter, but you never get to experience this feeling of spring. Summer wouldn't be the same if it lasted 8 months, and fall might be my favorite season of all. I would even miss winter, the snow and gloves and hats, sledding. What would Christmas be without snow? But, I think I would miss this spring feeling the most. The feeling of the world becoming kind again, of life re-starting.

Even though it's supposed to get back into the 30's this weekend, and my even saying this tempts winter to move here permanently, it's ok, because spring is here. Everything we get from now on is just sugar snow, and poor man's fertilizer. The birds are out, and the winter wind is gone. The time of budding trees and lawn-mowing is fast approaching. Skirts and flip flops and lawn chairs and trips to the beach and ice cream and baseball are coming. The first spring of the rest of my life. I love it.

No comments: