Monday, August 27, 2007

My first college class!

English 015, M W F 9:00-10:00.

We sat down, and wrote out our names, majors, hometowns, intrests, and something special about us. Then we got the syllabus, and a diagnostic essay took up the rest of the class. We recieved our first assignment and left.

I got back to my room and sat down to do the assignment; read the intro and respond to it. The whole idea was that this book would provide templates for each of our essays. It's set up like this.

"Of course some object that_______________. Although I concede that ___________, I still maintain that ___________."

My first class in higher education, and I get fill-in-the-blank essays! I just sat down and wrote a fill. in. the. blank. essay. I cannot wrap my mind around this. I just spent all of last year learning how to write outside of triangle-block-block-trainagle format. I've just learned how to be an independent, clear-thinking writer.

And I'm writing fill in the blank essays! I just wrote an essay about how much I hate the templates, in the template form. The irony is so beautiful. It's like taking an art class, finding your style and becoming confident in it, and then something flings a color-by-number book at you.

Oh well. I need a 3.3 GPA for my major, and this class will help me get it. I just hope I can actually learn something in the other ones.

No comments: