Thursday, October 18, 2007

Happy Christma-Hanah-Kwanz-akuh!

In my religion class, we had a 30 minute debate about whether or not public schools should be able to post the Ten Commandments on the walls of the school buildings. I've been thinking about it, and this is my conclusion.

This is the bottom line. The conservatives flip out when their kid comes home and asks who Allah is. The liberals flip out when their kid comes home and asks who Jesus is. Both are ignorant and fearful, and setting their own children up to become the exact same thing. So the conservative answer is to put biblical ideas all over public schools, so that their children aren't exposed to anything else. And the liberal answer is to wipe out any religous reference at all, so that thier children won't be exposed to anything else, either.

Both are wrong, and both answers will only spread ignorance and fear through a country that prides itself on tolerance and diversity. Separation of church and state means that this should not be a political issue, and it shouldn't be. I dont think the Supreme Court or President or school principle has anything to say on the matter - it's down to the parents and the teachers.

This is how it should work. Teachers and children should be free to share ideas and traditions with each other without being pushy, in the public school. I think there should be Islamic poetry read in english classes along with Bible stories. I want kids making dreidels and Native American dream-catchers in art class. I want buddha statues on teacher's desks, and Hindu artwork on the walls. I want teachers to say, "You celebrate Christmas, but I do...What does everyone else do during break?" And although children should be exposed to all different faiths, nothing should be forced. No group prayer or meditiation. Just the freedom to ask questions and recieve a fair answer.

I want my children well-versed in ancient stories from around the world, and I want them to understand universal values, not just WASP stories and WASP values. I want them to learn how to work with differences early on, and in an environment where parents and teachers can guide them through it. Above all, I want them to decide their own faith for themselves. I want them to know what else is out there, and I want them to understand WHY we believe what we believe. Religion is not a "because I said so" thing. A faith that stands without doubt, without test, is no faith at all but ignorance. I want the next generation to be firm in their own beliefs, and understanding and respectful of everyone else's. This starts with exposure to multiple religions in the public school.

And if you're not comfortable with exposure, with other ideas and curious questions at the dinner table, then fine. If it really is that important, then put your kids in a private school, and leave your poor congressman alone.

No comments: