Monday, December 3, 2007

2nd Semester vs Defending Champion- Jr Year!

Most of you have probably known this for a while, but I have just discovered this about myself - I'm a bit of a workaholic. A neighbor will come into my room and ask what I'm doing, and sometimes I'll answer "Procrastinating!" And they'll say something like, "No, you're not, you're blogging." Or I'll be decorating my room, or writing letters or thank-you notes, or trying to knit. I'm productive even when I think I'm wasting time.

This semester, 15 credit hours, the newspaper, chi alpha and hall council are not enough - it's the most spare time I've had in year. So I end up starting extra blogs, going to the gym almost every day, writing a couple of short stories, take a stab at knitting, and spend hours decorating my room. I even get 7, sometimes 8 hours of sleep per night, and spend the average amount of time on the phone and visiting neighbors.

But I think next semester is going to rival even the infamous junior year of high school. I'm taking an RA class in which we have two or three, sometimes four major and complex projects going on - and it's all completely independant. Add the standard reading, papers, and exams and you've got easily two classes' worth of work. I will also have my own page for the paper, which will require a ridiculous amount of newspaper-reading, planning, delegating, and writing. And then I will still have Chi Alpha, Hall Council, and four other classes - Algebra, Earth Science, the second half of American history, and lifeguard training. I would still like to try out the sailing club.

I'm OK with this. I love working for the paper, so I don't care how many hours it takes up. And the RA projects are actually useful, like raising money for Make-A-Wish, or helping out a current RA with programs, meetings, and incident reports. Even the classwork is about people - crisis management, conflict management, and development. Hopefully by May, I will be a successful page editor, a lifeguard, an RA, and have 39 total college credits under my belt. Although come to think of it, I might have to drop Hall Council...

No comments: