Monday, August 20, 2007

100th Post!

I didn't spend anytime packing yesterday!

After church, I picked up Lindsay. We went to the school to swing and catch up on the past year, going over the highlights and the best stories. Then we drove out to the lake, and walked the pier. The sun was warm and the air was cool and the sky was blue, blue, blue. Everyone had their sailboats out for one last time. I decided that I wanted enough money someday for a bright red sailboat, a navy blue cableknit sweater and khaki shorts. I would sail it down the East coast and back, and the local paper would write a story on me. Still haven't decided on a name for my boat, though. We walked the beach in bare feet and enjoyed the fresh air instead of the usual, polluted stink. We inspected the old, empty train station and watched some beach volleyball.

I got us thoroughly lost on the way home. I missed my exit and we had to crack open my mapbook and navigate our way down isolated country roads back to familiar territory. On the way back we passed a sweet corn stand and I pulled a U-turn and squealed over to the dirt pull-off. We paid the very bored kid who was running the stand (and had a mysterious southern drawl) to finally return home a half an hour later than planned. But with dinner we had the most phenomenal corn on the cob anyone could remember eating.

After she left, I went with my family to Coldstone Creamery. I had homemade chocolate ice cream with massive chunks of cookie dough mixed in; it was incredible. Tonight continues the summer farewell with a local baseball game birthday celebration. Provided, of course, that the weather gives up this noncomital drizzling nonsense.

It's a week full of last things. Last Sundays as a regular at my church, last visits until the holidays, last minute paperwork. Last beach trips and ice cream runs for the year, last time I'll see something until I unpack it into my dormroom. Last day at training camp, last swim in my pool. Last nights in my own bed, last mornings with a toaster, last drives in my own car for a while. Everything changes soon. And it's a little bit sad, but it's also good and exciting.

Oh. So this is bittersweet.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I cried. I miss all of those things with you.
*Sigh*
This is when a year feels like forever.

rachel said...

I know, Mel. The last week isn't the same without you. And really, the first week won't be either. My brain knows it's time to be on my own, but it feels like I should be doing all of these things with you. Hang in there.